Feb 12, 2007

She goes all the way to 11

Ella and I were in a meeting when I realized we were cutting it close to ballet class, she was playing puzzles on the floor while I wrapped things up and we headed four blocks home in our cold van with Ella’s gloves on the wrong hands for speeds sake and Ella yelling she was hungry for “something”. We literally ran into the house, let the dog out while I answered the phone and I shoved a cupcake into Ella’s gaping mouth and changed her into ballet clothes before letting the dog back in and leaving for class. What did we do with our free five minutes while we drove to the studio? We talked about how to use your ears more than your mouth when the teacher is talking. Oh yeah, imagine that, Ella likes to talk lot, who could’ve guessed? We also discussed the volume at which you should try to keep happy giggling during dancy class. I know it seems a bit manipulative to try and tell a little kid “you are too full of joy could you just take it down a notch” but that is what I had to explain to my dearest innocent child. Yes Ella, that crazy maniacal laughing and jumping up and down you do while anticipating your turn is a distraction to the class and the teacher really needs your help keeping it down and besides I think you’re freaking her out a little bit. I know you love ballet but ballerinas use their feet to tell people their happy by dancing their best. Whatever part of my five minute lecture made sense to her seemed to work and she was only mildly distracting this evening, no more than any of the other wiggling squealy three year olds in her class. May God grant you all the patience of a toddler’s ballet teacher.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Cute, darling, and utterly charming. All words for your wiggly daughter.