Mar 5, 2008

Just in Case

I've hit that part of the year that makes me want to rearrange the house, fling the doors open, wash every corner of the floor and breathe fresh air. We live in a very old place and as a consequence have no closets. Everything we own is out all the time, in a way that when new people visit and I give the tour it often includes phrases like “And there’s our vacuum right there next to the Christmas decorations.” This has me thinking and the other day while standing in our bedroom looking towards the wonderful stained glass window framed by giant tubs of clothing Ella has outgrown stacked against the wall, I realized that perhaps I am hanging on to quite a lot of stuff just in case. Just is case we have another child, and just in case it’s another girl, and just in case she’s in the same sizes as Ella at the same time of year, I am all set. Really dear internets how practical is this? When the weather turns I could open all the doors and sweep it all out onto the front lawn and put a sticker that says 25¢ on it. Please understand, this is not a declaration about the future expansion of our family it’s a conscious decision about space and quality of living right now. Tell me did you save clothes for the next kid? Did you wear your big sister’s clothes? How often does this really work? Maybe we should just build some closets.

5 comments:

Jo said...

As you said, it only works when,
1.Your kids are close together
2.The same sex
3.Born the same time of year.
So besides a few special things and maybe some gender neutral newborn things, you can just look forward to going shopping for the next one!
Chuck it!
And while you are in the cleaning mood, feel free to come on over!

Anonymous said...

have the garage sale!
the only things i saved were furniture things. and a couple of girls outfits because i thought i would give them to people having girls - never thought it would be me!
purge!!!!

let the chi flow.

i'm a firm believer that in order to make room for the new you have to get rid of the old.

you'll get what you need.

when you need it!

Jenny said...

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. This spring, I'm sweeping it all out front and putting a quarter on everything that doesn't still have tags on it.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree...recycle: sell or give away (if you are looking for takers, I have a 3 year old!).

cara said...

Hang on to the precious stuff. The first clothes Ella wore. The outfits you really loved on her. But discard the rest. I did it a few months ago and I would recommend the purging process!