Sep 22, 2007

Leg Warmers

We’ve hit my favorite part of the year, after the first light frost and before the first freeze. My allergies have finally calmed and the weather is still in the 80s during the day and in the 60s at night, perfect for sleeping. The leaves are starting to turn and the kids are back in school, you can see them on Friday afternoons walking around in their ‘pep gear’ getting ready for the evening’s football events.

When did it become socially acceptable to wear your pajamas to school? I thought that was a nightmare people often had… “I got to school and I was still wearing my pajamas and my hair looked like I had just rolled out of bed” turns out that’s what the kids are shooting for these days. I suppose given the choice between PJs and skin tight jeans and belly shirts, I’d prefer the PJs. And this is not where I go on a long rant about the good ol’ days and how we used to wear proper clothes, because I grew up in the 80s and my mother would totally call me on it, so I’ll shut up now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange how school dress codes have changed over the years. When I attended Rockford West High School (1964-1967), we were not allowed to wear blue jeans, we could wear a different color jean (or "chinos" as they were called back then) green, black, maroon, tan, etc. but not blue. By 1969-1970 the dress code for blue jeans or "levis" was dropped along with boys having long hair. Can you imagine, Dave Leis and myself were the first boys suspended from West High School for long hair back in 1967, and my hair is much longer today than it was back then. My thanks to The Beatles for making long hair on guys fashionable. Now I'll bet today there are some kids who don't even know who The Beatles were, but then that was way back in the 60's, modern history today.

Jessi Louise said...

My sister-in-law is a teacher and she said that (along with the pajamas) another new trend is bringing a blanket to school and wrapping up in it in class. And she teaches middle school, not small children with attachments to their blankies. And it's in southern Texas, so it's not for the cold.
When I was a senior it was cool to look like you just rolled out of bed (not in actual pajamas, but in slobby, comfy clothes) and showed up for school on a whim. Like the teachers were lucky you even showed up.
I guess soon they will be bringing pillows...