Sep 15, 2007

Jack Frost is my Hero

My nose itches so fiercely throughout the day I can’t help but swipe it and scuff at it several times an hour. The skin on my nose is now so dry that it’s starting to peel and that still hasn’t alleviated the itching. The compulsion to rub my face is so tremendous that sometimes I claw at the air with my fingers and swear. My eyes feel as if I have a permanent eyelash jammed into the corners and no amount of cool eye drops stored on the top shelf of the refrigerator can alleviate the compulsion to rub them with the palms of my hands while my mouth hangs agape and the my brain shuts down to it’s most primitive thoughts “ah yes, scratch scratch rub ah yes! I itch!”

I feel like I’ve come a long way from sleepy Jenny with crying swollen eyes and a top lip rubbed raw and red with two lines of snot still extending from my nostrils to my mouth. Although, if suddenly stranded in time without antihistamines I no doubt would become that girl in a matter of minutes. This is when I pray for a frost despite my aversion to cold weather. Numbing fingers and toes and back muscles that shiver until I’m sore are a perfectly fine trade for the wretched itching to stop. Any night now Jack Frost will swoop into Illinois and with one motion kill every piece of pollen suspended in the air around my face.

What is in my sinuses right now.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Bald Man is snuffling and sneezing, (very, very loudly!) too, I guess I better start wishing for a visit from Jack Frost too!