Feb 3, 2013

My Ideal Place to Write

My favorite place to write is on a graffiti-ed bathroom wall.   In every purse I carry a black permanent marker, mostly for writing my number on my arm before a derby bout but secretly it's to draw Kilroy Was Here, or for a Good Time Call..., or to correct other defacers' spelling and punctuation errors, or just to tag an unsuspecting wall.  I've never shoplifted, I don't cheat at games, I'm that person who tells the bank teller she gave me too much change back, I've been accused of being a goody-two-skates on more than one occasion, I'm a middle aged mother of two with a bum-knee who likes historical fiction and the Home and Garden channel, and I am a vandal.  I've carved on public picnic tables, I've written on bathroom walls in at least six states in the last three years and once I even took a can of spray paint to a bridge.  I don't have a message, I don't have any reason, I just like to do it. Shhh!

4 comments:

ludakristen said...

I love this!

"I'm a middle aged mother of two with a bum-knee who likes historical fiction and the Home and Garden channel, and I am a vandal."

This could be the opening line to a very interesting book.

Melanie said...

How much do I love that sometimes you just correct the other vandals' grammar and punctuation? That's subversive!

And I agree with Kristen - I would totally read that novel!

Lindsay said...

I love a mom who is also a badass. Go you.

Debbie said...

You make me want to start carrying a Sharpie in my purse. :)

I can't draw to save my life, but I could correct me some grammar and spelling!