Aug 12, 2009

Boosters

The crazy fun happening on vacation ends today as I bring Ella in to see her Illinois doctor and get her school shots. The insurance won't cover school shots in Texas so this was on the agenda from way back. Apparently our health is only important if we are dying. Preventative medicine, like vaccinations, though much cheaper than an emergency room visit, isn't important. That's the problem with letting insurance companies decide what kind of care we deserve. It always irks me when people throw out there that politicians will be making the decisions instead of doctors, if we pass reform. My doctor hasn't been able to make a decision about my health based on what's best for me in years - she has to call the insurance company and get whatever it is I need pre-certified, then we all hope that every secretary and medical coder crossed every T and checked every box so as not to give the insurance company any reason to deny payment.

Years ago I had my appendix out and because the surgeon was very good and they let me go home the next day the insurance company decided it was an out-patient procedure and therefore anesthetic wasn't necessary and I received the bill for $4,000.00. It's nuts. I have more to say about this and oh boy is it a good story, but I have to be on my current insurance through the end of August. I'd rather not bite the hand that may still need to slap me around for the next few weeks, but on September 1st Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL better look out. And for now I will just say let's pass reform now!

2 comments:

Michelle Gautreaux said...

i think i'm pretty tired of the insurance companies mandating my health as well. like it's not bad enough i don't have control of my kids, now my health.

Mike Lyons said...

Okay, so you don't like the insurance company making these decisions, and you don't think it would be any worse with the government? At least when it's a private insurance company you can choose another insurance. When the government decides for you, it carries the weight of law.

I freely admit I don't know the details of the plan that is being debated right now. I know I want the government to be less involved in my life, not more.