Jul 25, 2009

What's new in Bugland

Very late last night a two inch cockroach tried to chew my butt off. Ok, maybe that's not the way it went down but it nearly happened. I was peeing and I grabbed for the toilet paper and as I unrolled it with a wizz a giant cockroach came flinging out and hit my leg at which time if I hadn't just peed I would've peed. It scurried under the step stool and sat there mocking me. I woke Dan up and he got the can of bug killer light and sprayed the thing. It accepted the cocktail happily and asked for another by running at Dan who promptly squished it while I jumped on top of the couch and screamed. Once it was flushed I immediately got online to read everything I could about them. The first thing I googled was "If I saw one roach are there more?" to which the overwhelming answer is "yes" although one reassuring bug expert said that if I saw just one big one - it likely came in from nature, but if I see babies then I'm in trouble.

We are the very first people to live in this apartment, it's brand new and I don't think they install roaches in the bathrooms of brand new buildings, and there's the whole obsession I have with crumbs these days due to the fire ant episode. I carry a handi-vac in my back pocket ready to quick draw the moment a crumb falls from a lip in the vicinity of the apartment. While I double cleaned every crumb from every counter last night, I opened cupboards like I was going to a surprise party for bugs, looking to see if there was any scurrying in dark places with food. I saw none. After I scoured every counter and closed every drain (thanks for the advice DD) I finally went to bed. So, now I will now walk around suspect of every neighbor in the building wondering who may have carried them in. Dan called the office this morning and the exterminator is going to drown my apartment in more poison on Monday. Yay!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny I can picture you with the vacuum ready to pounce. I would be the same. Hope it is just one! We were in Rockford recently. Will send you a message on Facebook when I have a spare minute to fill you in on happenings there. God that sounds like I have something interesting to report! Nothing of the sort. Take care, Olivia

Jenny said...

I am soo bummed we didn't get to see you folks when you were here. We're still hoping to make it there someday for a visit.

DD Hunter said...

Ah the memories of living in the warm part of the country, at least it didn't come flying down the hall at you with Wednesday hot on it's heels.

Chrissy said...

oh man. unfortunately, cockroaches are just a fact of life in texas. they're worse in the summer - i think they come in to get away from the heat. good luck eradicating them!

Jenny said...

So far we have not seen another roach and I'm still pulling open cupboards and doors fast and peeping in. I really think just that one came in on the groceries. (crossing fingers.)

arizona said...

We have the same big roaches you saw out here in Arizona, we call them sewer roaches. They come up through the drains in the bathroom sinks and the bathtubs. I freaked out the first time I saw one, but they are a way of life out here in the Southwest. You will probably see more of them as you get more acclimated to Texas and the Southwestern climate. Nice to know huh!