Sep 24, 2012

The Great Sauce Off 2012

This is my recipe for sugo

What you need:

  1. Stew pot
  2. Two cans tomato sauce
  3. Brown sugar
  4. Parmesean cheese
  5. Garlic
  6. Red meat
  7. Salt 
  8. Pepper
  9. Time
Brown the meat (can be burger or cubed steak or stew meat) with garlic and salt and pepper in the bottom of the stew pot.  Do not drain the fat.  Add the tomato sauce and some good fat shakes of parmesean cheese and salt and pepper.  Put the lid on and turn it down to a slow simmer and let it sit.  The longer it cooks the better it will be.  I like to simmer for at least two hours and usually the rule in my house is if you walk through the kitchen, stop and stir the sauce.  

Cook your pasta in a different pan. Any pasta will do, sauce makes enough to cover 8 servings which is the amount in most boxes of dry pasta, but feel free to use the sauce on what you like.  I like a penne pasta and when it's all put together and on the table it's mostaccioli or as the kids call is "monster choli" 


Sometimes I add mushrooms or basil or a little onion but they aren't needed. Oh! And sometimes if I have a little merlot, I put some in with the meat when it's browning and then I put some in me while I'm cooking.  

This is a great meal if you have big eating guests.  I used to make it for firefighters and construction dudes along with a salad and some italian bread and those guys never left hungry.  

But because we almost never eat eight servings, unless we have guests, I always make a baked pasta the next day.  I put the left overs in a casserole dish and top it with shredded mozzarella.  Throw that in the oven for a half hour at 350 and it's almost better than the day before.    

Also see I Still Hate Pickles for the rest of the Great Sauce Off 2012.



4 comments:

Jenna said...

That sounds excellent!! I'll definitely have to give this one a try. Thanks for joining our sauce off!

Kirsten Oliphant said...

Yum! you are the second person to mention brown sugar. I'm intrigued!!

Rockford said...

Monstercolli

Debbie said...

Sounds delicious!