Mar 5, 2006

Habanero's

I went to the best restaurant last night! It’s called Habanero's and they have roaming minstrel and a salsa bar and despite the fact that we had the new waitress the service was good. The food was awesome! I think my buddy Tater Tot will be posting food pictures on her blog. They brought out the Sampler plate (we split it) and it was in the shape of a scorpion, with little avocado claws. They also have a lady that comes over with her little cart and makes guacamole for you right there, ground fresh on a Mexican Molcajete (mortar and pestle). I saw that if it’s your birthday they do a very cool rendition of the Happy Birthday song and I totally want to go back for my birthday. Here's my favorite part - nine ladies had a four course meal with drinks and the bill came to $144.00!

Afterwards we went downtown to the place I used to hang out at in college. It’s a little Irish pub with an antique bar-back, a stamped tin ceiling and pictures of writers on the walls. We sat under the watchful eye of James Joyce and reminisced about a time when we wore baby doll dresses with black chokers and combat boots. The place is still inhabited by posh-goth waitresses and long haired grungy young men. I sipped my $2.00 coffee with my $6.00 shot of Bailey’s. Good thing it wasn’t that expensive when I was in college or I never would’ve been able to afford to fall in love with it. There were even a few vexed writers there and I got all my second hand smoking done thanks to these brooding bards.

Next we went to the disco and boogie-oogie-oogied till our feet hurt and I really thought at one point I was going to have a heart attack. I wasn’t in love with what the DJ was playing so I went up to ask him for something a little funky like George Clinton and the P Funk and he said “who?” and then I felt old*. Later I realized he was just being bitchy about the inference that we didn’t like what he was playing. That’s ok he ‘brought it’ at about midnight and the dance floor filled.


*and I realize the George Clinton P-Funk link is a VH-1 link and that too makes me old. But come on, any DJ who is worth his bling should know who the father of the Funkadelic is, damn!

No comments: